Thursday, January 1, 2009

Sententia novi anni (or, new year's resolution)

Baby New Year

I don't usually have anything to put under the "Resolution" rubric, but Dan Golding's wonderful post, and the still more wonderful philosophy behind his blog "Subject Navigator," make me want to be a better blogger.

Thus: I resolve to post here regularly--weekly, at least--in 2009.

Indeed, motive coincides with opportunity, since I have a couple weeks now in which I can concentrate on the "Living Epic" course and VGHVI to the exclusion of most other things save finally playing some of the games I've meant to play since the fall semester began. Moreover, my XBox 360 went to the great red-rimmed nether-realm this morning, so the time to play 360 games won't begin for a while yet.

Perhaps most helpfully of all, the students in the course are calling me to make more persuasive, more interesting, and more comprehensive formulations of all the themes of this blog, and I'd be foolish and even negligent not to try to bring some of those formulations over.

Thanks, Dan, and thanks also to everyone who's encouraged me to keep going. Tomorrow, some further thoughts that have been brewing about the values of ancient epic, and the values of games of violent glory.